View Single Post
Old 02-06-19, 08:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by strangdang
I kinda thought more folks would know this, but I’ll have to chime in here. Until you get up to high end handbuilt frames (in my day it was Eisentraut, Hetchins, Strawberry, etc.) they are all the same except for the name. I was in the bike business 50+ years, I was a Fuji rep, a Bianchi rep, a Colnago rep, even a Muddy Fox rep. At any particular price point, all the bikes out there will have minor differences in parts selection and frame geometry, but they will have been built by the same handful of factories in Asia. This cheerleading for any one particular brand is just folks justifying their purchase. No one company has the secret to building a better bike.
All the Colnagos I sold except the steel Master and the lugged and glued carbon bike were made in Taiwan. All the Bianchis I sold except for some steel Reparto Corsa bikes were made in Taiwan. In fact I’ve seen pictures of the Giant assembly line with Pinarellos, Colnagos, Treks, and Giants all hanging there in one place. Most of the big names in bikes are mainly marketing companies, not manufacturers. Specialized is Merida, Fuji is Ideal, Giant is the aforementioned plus a lot more.
It’s just silly to knock one bike over another. It’s best to find a shop that you like dealing with, a geometry that fits you, and a color you like, and buy it, ride it, and don’t concern yourself so much with the name on the frame, or other people’s choices.
You statement is too simplistic. There are secrets to building better bikes and some companies are better at innovation than others. A bike isn't "just a bike". Tre and Specialized have very robust research and development wings that come up with "better" bikes all the time. Trek is kind of a leader in carbon fiber and Specialized has been a leader in mountain bikes for a long time. Fuji used to be an innovator but they haven't for a very long time and have fallen into the follower category. Same with Giant.

The bikes that are developed through innovation may be made in foreign factories but that doesn't mean that they are all made using the same cookie cutter.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!