Old 02-08-19, 11:16 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I went for my MRI on Wednesday ...

Fortunately, the PT's assumption wasn't quite right.
Unfortunately, the PT's assumption wasn't quite right.

In other words, it turned out to be something different than expected, better in some ways, possibly worse in others. But definitely with a different treatment plan.

In my case, around the end of Nov, I started feeling a bit of an ache in my right leg when running. Figured it was muscle. Rested a bit, did some stretching, and it felt a little bit better.

Ran a half-marathon, and could barely hobble by the end. Still figured it was muscle, tried more rest and stretching, but lots of difficulty walking, and definitely no running. It even hurt to cycle.

Went to a PT who ran me through a whole bunch of tests and was pretty sure I'd fractured my hip ... stress fracture. No walking, no cycling, no running, no stretching ... nothing for a week until my MRI. If it were a stress fracture, I would have had to rest for the next 4-6 weeks.

But it's not a stress fracture! Instead, I've torn the cartilage in my hip and have really messed up the ligaments.

Yes, I'll still have to rest, so treating it as a stress fracture would have been all right in that regard, but I can still do some exercise (slow walking and cycling, not running) and it will be treated with specific stretching and strengthening by my PT. If we had assumed it was a stress fracture and I just rested, I would have lost a lot of fitness, and I would not have done the stretching and strengthening aspect so my ligaments may not have recovered as well as they might. (Of course, we still have to wait and see)

These days we have the technology ... it's no longer a guessing game.
Thanks for sharing all that! Maybe I should have my hips checked! Many days we go out and walk 10000 steps, either on streets or at the shopping mall. Usually in the first 300m or so I'm comfortable. Through the next km my hips hurt and it feels like at the ball/socket joints. If I stop for a 2 minute rest it abates. After about 1500 m it feels mostly good, and I can even walk fast on impulse in that stage and make it home in decent comfort to complete the 10 k steps. Pace is not too high, and if I felt fully smooth flow I'd be going maybe 4 mph (6 kph?).

It could have to do with surface. I was in Munich for two weeks last November and did a similar length walk nearly every day in the city, up and down the hills near the Isar river. Most of the sidewalks were square stone patterns or otherwise smaller pieces of paving materials. In US cities sidewalks are large slabs o concrete on firm beds of gravel, and shopping mall interiors are similarly hard and smooth.

I haven't done much cycling, even indoor. I'm planning to do 30 minutes today on trainer.

Anyway, perhaps I should have a doctor look at them.