View Single Post
Old 02-09-19, 12:08 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My usual answer is that frequency of maintenance is more important then which brand of soap is used when bathing.

Pedals, BB shell, Post, Stem, and a lot of the little bolts are the items I would focus on. Andy

Thought I'd stop back to this thread. So I replaced the BB in my Vaya Ti today. I was all set, had my new bottle of Permatex Copper Anti-seize, started applying it....Wow. That stuff is a REAL pain to apply....it wants to get everywhere. Halfway through it I said F-it, wiped it off the threads and liberally applied plain old grease. Like you said, it's the frequency of maintenance that counts. Had I used the copper anti-seize, I know I'd probably put off follow-up maintenance in the future. I wouldn't want to deal with that reddish goo! Now with the grease though, it'll be a simple thing to service the BB. It will take only a few minutes to remove, wipe down, and re-grease the BB in the future. With the red goo, you practically have to wear a hazmat suit!

I greased everything that touches that Ti frame, including the tiny derailleur bolts. While going over the bike, I discovered I need new bearings in the rear hub. That'll be the next project, right after the headset cup removal. Then I'll be ready for another season of sandy mud and rain!