Old 02-09-19, 01:59 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
I’m happy there is a law that forces people to wear helmets.,
As I said earlier, there is no such law in Portland, OR. I don't feel like looking up just how many other American states or cities have no law requiring adults to wear bicycle helmets but Portland can't be the only one. I am 60 years old. I came of age in the 1970's. I must have been riding a good 20 years before anything called a helmet came along. Even then no one I knew had actually seen one in real life. I commuted 6 miles each way in NYC traffic between 1988 and 2001 sans helmete. Actually I got my first and only helmet when I moved to Portland in 2008 and only because me and mine wanted to join a tandem club and helmets were mandatory for the group rides. I've had two or three bad falls on a bicycle that never caused impacts to my skull. I had one bad crash on a motorcycle that did involve impact to my skull but I was wearing a helmet. I don't think a law requiring cyclists to wear helmets because it is safer is as easy to justify as it might be for motorcyclists. The push-back you are getting is that you are preaching your helmet adoption as a proven factor in survival outcomes. That may be the case in Australia but it doesn't appear to be the case in the United States.