Old 02-11-19, 02:22 PM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
Whoa. Impressive climb! Which direction were you coming from?
My wife and I went to Yellowstone and Glacier in late May/early June of 2017. We lucked out at Glacier - they were still plowing snow on Going to the Sun Road and on the weekend it was open to bikes and hikers, closed to cars - with temperatures in the 60s while surrounded by snow!

So, we rented hybrid bikes and biked up from the Avalanche camp ground area, which is 16 miles up to Logan Pass. If I remember right, the first 5 miles you gained just 500 feet or so maybe less. Then you hit the 11 mile stretch where you go from 3000 feet up to 6600 feet at a nearly constant 5.7% grade, supposedly the maximum grade cars could do when it was built.

They remove the guardrails over the winter to keep avalanches from just tearing them away and then don't put them back until they are done plowing - some scary turns that were like those infinity pools where the edge seemed to merge with the horizon. The rental hybrid weighed a lot more than my Trek Domane SL6, but it also had a great granny gear - I was talking to granny the entire way up. On the way back down, I have the disc brakes a workout.

My wife got me a commemorative coffee mug from somewhere online for Christmas:

A bucket list ride up Going to the Sun Road in Glacier Park to Logan Pass