Old 02-13-19, 08:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
It is off, washed, magical, nuclear yield, or someone stripped it off when I walked away from my bike.. in any case the lubricant is gone.
You are missing my point. It is on "off". One of the things that many people don't like about wax based lubricants is that they cause build up of wax on the jockey wheel. That's because the excess is caught on the wheel where it evaporates and builds up over time. If you've every tried to remove it, it doesn't "wash" off. It has to be mechanically removed or removed with solvent...not Simple Green. The wax in the chain is just as tenacious. Yes, as I've said many times in this thread alone, the wax gets shoved out spaces and it can't move back. But an oil flows away from those points too.

As noted by the chain is clicking and grinding, skipping gears and having a hard time. A lubricated chain does not do that, even one lubricated with water from a puddle won't do that.
My chains aren't prone to "clicking, grinding, skipping gears and having a hard time". That kind of behavior probably isn't related to the chain in the first place. Skipping gears, clicking and rough shifts are related to derailer problems. I've used this stuff in snow, rain, dirt roads in rain, on tow paths and rail trails, off road in wet conditions, etc in 48 of the 50 states without issues. My chains don't grind, click, skip gears or have difficulty shifting.

Are you implying you can wax a chain one time in its entire life and it stays well lubricated from that point on? At no point does something cause it to wear off any faster or slower?
Where did I imply that? The wax sloughs off over time and needs to be replaced. In my experience, it doesn't need to be replaced nearly as often as most...including the manufacturer...thinks. I did a 1500 mile tour from Toledo, OH, up and over Lake Erie, across New York, looped down to Delaware, across Maryland and up to Pittsburgh. I carried, and used, wax lubricant for the whole trip. I applied it 3 times due to rain. I got 500 to 600 miles between applications when it didn't rain.

I get similar results at home. My drivetrain runs smooth and relatively quiet, although a bit louder than oil based lubricants. As I said above, it doesn't grind, skip gears, and the shifts are crisp and precise.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!