View Single Post
Old 02-14-19, 03:35 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
That's the genius of the marketing policy. if you want 12 speeds, you need to use one of their 12-speed cassettes, which means you get a 10t, which means you effectively Don't get a 12th cog---the 10t being useless.

To make use og the SRAM 12-speed cassette, you sort of have to go to the smaller chainrings.

The question the becomes, what ration will say, a Shimano 46-30 offer? Seems that set-up would work---same top end, even lower low end than SRAM offers .... but you would still need to by new chain rings. Of course, we don't know if the SRAM front derailleur can handle the 16-t jump.

What's the overall gain? For people who already don't use the 11t cog much, but don't regularly climb mountains ..... I'd say, No Gain. $2500 in parts all told---shifters derailleurs, cassette, rings, tape, cables, battery chargers, whatever .... the rider gets ... a lower bail-out gear.

For that money i'd simply buy a whole new bike with 48-32 up front and a 11-36 out back with a Wolf Tooth road link.

i think the new ETap is built to sell on Bling Appeal, "I've got the latest" appeal, "If I am getting a new bike I might as well" appeal, to people with a Lot of money. I don't see amateur racers laying out that kind of money for at best exceedingly marginal gains in mid-range efficiency---a new set of $2500 wheels which saved a few grams would offer offer more performance gain---and the pros don't care. They just ride whatever they are handed.

All I Really see the new ETap system doing is driving up the top end of the parts price range---allowing manufacturers to sell more useful stuff for more money as well. I don't see old ETap coming down in price at all---I see people starting to consider spending more money becauee compared to the outrageous sticker shock of 12-speed, the rest doesn't seem As outrageous.

Smart retailers might want to stock up on 11-speed Ultegra and 105, both electronic and mechanical, because there is going to be a big market among casual enthusiasts---the one who love to ride but also need to pay for their kids' schooling and save for retirement. In a couple years 11-speed DI2 might be considered standard for folks who love to ride bikes and also have other lives.
Actually, no. You need an entire new crankset.

Physically, the smallest circular rings a 110BCD will permit are 33T...although you can squeeze out 32T if you get very creative and accurate/precise machining (As in Praxis Works 48/32 cranks). To get 30T you need a smaller BCD (as in say Sugino or IRD cranks), or use direct mount rings of some sort (FSA). Your standard Hollowtech cranks--as of now--do not permit 30T circular rings.