View Single Post
Old 02-16-19, 05:22 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I can’t lowcarb I get physically sick I need high octane food for bike riding and all activities. Low carb makes me punch drunk, my cognitive functions don’t function, I have no energy, I get nauseous and very very grumpy. Now I’m not saying I eat candy bars and sugar bombed drinks all day but I need my whole grain breads and that pre ride energy drink with stuff like cliff bars during a long ride. I lose weight by out riding the calories and portion control. I eat plenty of protein and fiber, I guess I time the carbohydrates when I need it.
Your body is setup to use sugar as fuel, you can re-adjust your body to use fat as fuel including your own stored fat but it means gradually lowering your sugar intake especially processed/refined sugars which you pretty much need to eliminate but increase your fat intake of sensible fats like olive oil, butter etc. I love sugary foods myself but I have trained my body to use its own fat reserves so have lots of energy without carbs but still have an emotional addiction to sugar and love sugary foods. It's a question of will power which sadly I lack.

Also remember if exercising your body will create muscle from fat and water and you can gain weight due to increased muscle mass despite lowering calorie intake because you are retaining more water in your muscles. The muscles you build increase your required calories per day.

The best way to reset your body so it consumes its own fat is intermittent fasting.