Old 02-18-19, 11:42 AM
JayNYC

Bikes: Fuji Jari 1.3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Need Recommendations For 650b Wheelset

Back in October I bought a (2018) Fuji Jari 1.3. I've got 1,000 miles on it so far and am enjoying the bike. The goal when I bought the bike was to eventually have two wheelsets – a 700C x 28± and a 650b x 47±, and ideally both would be tubeless. I live in Manhattan so one bike that could be both a decent road bike and a decent bike for dirt trails was appealing. Anyway, I'm starting to try to figure out what 650b wheelset I should go with. I don't want to spend $1,000+ on a wheelset. I mean I'm sure they're wonderful, but it's just not in my budget.

If I were just going to buy what I've heard decent things about that seem like a decent price I'd probably go with the alloy ones by Mason X Hunt…
https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collec...-24deep-25wide
$379 is definitely budget-friendly. But is an internal width of 20mm good with 47mm tires? Wouldn't wider be better? And if I weigh 207 lbs (94kg), that's within the weight limit, but would 32h be better? I mean, what if I want to go go on a trip with a heavy-ish backpack or something?

I see WTB has wider rims, but I don't see them selling complete wheelsets. I'd actually love to figure out how to build my own wheels, but don't know what hubs and spokes I should buy. And so I can't really judge total cost on that one.

So any advice would be appreciated.

And if you have recommendations for black sidewall 650b tires, I'd appreciate that recommendation as well. Tan sidewalls seem to be all the rage on "road plus" tires, but they'd look pretty horrible on my bike. [I'm looking for something that's pavement friendly given that all my rides start and end on pavement.]