Old 02-19-19, 10:10 AM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Firstly, what was the evidence and in what way was it better?

Secondly, in many cases the decision to grease (as an anti-seize measure) depends on what metals are involved in contact. So, it is not in any way an unconditional global decision "to grease or not to grease". It depends. Anti-seizing thread on a steel alloy pedal spindle before screwing it into an aluminum alloy crank is a definite must. Meanwhile, greasing stem bolts is not necessary.
The best evidence was in the form of excerpts from the manufacturers' literature on the subject. There were also explanations and testimony from the professional engineering contingent vs the mechanic and home mechanic contingent.

There were so many opinions being slung around, sometimes with great confidence. Finally people had to eat their words when the truly solid evidence was presented.

So I'm wanting to see what companies like Shimano and Campagnolo and their engineers have to say.

I agree about anti-seize, including with titanium.

My main concern is with steel fasteners and steel threads on components. Other materials and disparate materials are also of interest though.

No offense to anyone, but I know there are many opinions. I'm looking more for references or excerpts from major manufacturers or professional engineers.