Old 02-19-19, 10:34 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
You're comparing apples to oranges. Lug nuts are a special case. You'll never see a manufacturer recommend greasing the axle studs.

My new truck has this warning under changing a tire: Never use oil or grease on bolts or nuts because the nuts might come loose. The vehicle's wheel could fall off, causing a crash.

Most other bolts should be oiled, greased or anti-seized, particularly where dissimilar metals are involved, if for no other reason but to avoid corrosion that would cause problems when disassembling a bike, or making adjustments. Even similar metals can have problems if the threads are not lubricated. I use a lot of stainless steel nuts and bolts that are prone to galling. I've assembled parts with stainless steel nuts and bolts that were only snugged up for mock-up and had the threads jam up so tight that they'd strip before they came loose for disassembly. If the bolt was a little 1/4" or 6mm, you could twist the bolt in two and not get the nut off. Most new engines have aluminum blocks, but the bolts screwed into the aluminum threads are zinc plated steel. Anti-seize is wise to insure no problems when making repairs.

For any given connection, lubricated threads apply more clamping pressure for a given amount of torque. There's nothing on a bike that's all that critical. FWIW, I'm a mechanical engineer who's been wrenching for about 50 years now. I build hot rods for a second hobby these days.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 02-19-19 at 03:12 PM.