View Single Post
Old 02-19-19, 03:51 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by JayNYC
If I were just going to buy what I've heard decent things about that seem like a decent price I'd probably go with the alloy ones by Mason X Hunt…
https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collec...-24deep-25wide
$379 is definitely budget-friendly. But is an internal width of 20mm good with 47mm tires? Wouldn't wider be better? And if I weigh 207 lbs (94kg), that's within the weight limit, but would 32h be better? I mean, what if I want to go go on a trip with a heavy-ish backpack or something?
As a data point: I've been using the Mason X Hunt 650b alloy wheels on my gravel bike for the past year and a half. You and I weigh about the same and I've done some pretty heavily loaded rides with no issues (backpack, 4 water bottle cages and bottles, seat bag, and large top tube bag). I leave the WTB Horizons on most of the time, but have a set of Terrene Elwoods for more hardcore trails. No complaints and the wheels remain true. I bought the wheelset as sort of an experiment to see how I liked 650b. I have to say that I'm a convert. The extra tire size and reduced overall circumference, relative to 700c with 40mm tires, is really nice.