Old 02-20-19, 10:39 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I used to do a form of competition (not cycling) where polarized sunglasses very effectively deleted key information - sailboat racing on San Fransisco Bay with its often race defining tides and currents. The water surface was the key to reading both wind and current. I briefly went to polarized glasses. Quickly became apparent I was getting a lot of fascinating information re: the world of the fish but zero on what the wind was doing to the water surface. Retired those (brand new) glasses to a life of cycling only and ordered up some very expensive prescription Vaurnets (mirrored, gradient-ed density but no polarizing! Best racing sailing glasses I have ever worn.

Ben
Originally Posted by JasonD67
My other hobby is racing sailboats. On the water, polarized lenses are an absolute must. Things can hide in the glare off the water and you need polarized lenses to see them. Now, on the bike, it really doesn't matter in my experience. I just wear regular non-polarized biking glasses and never have felt the need for polarization while I ride.

One thing about polarized lenses: they can make looking at LCD displays difficult. The GPS on our boat has a LCD display and I have to hold my head a certain way to read it -- kinda a pain. Never tried it, but I bet my Element Bolt would be hard to read with polarized lenses.
Make up your minds guys.

I use paranoid lenses.