Old 02-23-19, 02:27 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm not convinced that lightness is the key. I'm guessing that most people have non-folding bikes as well, so their folding bikes perform a commute or shopping function. I realise there are folding bike fanatics, but most buy for practical purposes.

For me, because I use the folder for the supermarket run plus touring, the weight is less of a concern. I do take the bike touring, but only because they're less hassle to put on aircraft, and are, though it seems we'll all be using the past tense shortly, often free. Same with trains, though buses are beginning to charge. Anyway, weight really isn't a concern, the greater one is that folders in some countries are the subject of much interest, and you do wonder about the availability of spares and theft.

Size of fold is important, of course, but I don't see the Helix as being significantly better than what is already out there, in fact, fold size looks much larger than the Brompton, particularly as most Brompton owners know quite a few handy dodges. These may come, but the manufacturers claim that the Helix folds to 23" I find nonsense, even though they attempt to explain why. You only have to look at the photo to see it does not fold down to the size of its wheels. Besides? I find this piece of justification particularly jarring concerning the wheel: "To try and keep things simple, the bicycle industry calls it a 24" wheel." Funny that ETRTO is not mentioned in this context. Also, the tyres are Kenda - what happens if you switch to another brand?

I've mentioned before that the future for Helix is probably in the direction of Dahon or similar, although the buyer will probably wait until the bugs are ironed out. Even then, that is by no means assured: I strongly doubt that Helix as it stands will be making a profit within the next 5 years, so its chances of survival may be limited, especially as the global economy appears to be heading for a downturn. Even if it doesn't do this, why would owners of any folding bike want this one? Bikes generally last a long time. As to electric, I sincerely hope people wake up soon. They definitely have a future, but perhaps less than it seems at present. An electric folding bike? Why bother. Those scooter things are smaller, whizz round cities at a great rate, although often on the pavement which is a future problem.

Finally, you can hire bikes in most larger cities in Europe now, whether they're Vélib or similar, which you can find in many places, or in the bike shops. Yes, this bicycle will certainly fit the commuting/boat holiday/caravanning niche.

Please note that this post is a probably unsuccessful attempt to counter the enthusiasm that future owners use to describe a bike they haven't even seen in the flesh yet. Yes, I am a Brompton owner, but use it almost exclusively for shopping. I have another folder, the Brompton-inspired copy, but that is in Thailand and used once a year by me, but possibly more often by guests. For tours here I use the Bianchi, and for fitness the Time. The latter two are much better, and faster, to cycle.

Anyway, I'm out of here. Despite my criticisms, I'm sure you'll get value from your bikes, and I wish both owners and the manufacturer well.