Thread: Helix Update?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-19, 02:10 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Do you think it's because he "over built" the tubing? I have to say while I put the titanium parts on my BF for weight reasons, I actually discovered how amazing it is at reducing road vibration and absorbing bumps, more than steel. If I'd had that experience already, I would have done it for that reason alone, weight saving being the bonus. If the Helix is a super ride, do you think buyers will go for it and plan on doing their own weight reduction after (as is pretty common these days)?
Either that, or he simply underestimated how much the folding mechanisms would kill the weight savings of ti tubes..I see a lotta metal on that bike.

As the owner of a Seven ti road bike I appreciate the ride quality, but I don't think anyone would buy a Seven at steel weight just for the ride. People are going to go into a ti folder as a markedly lighter bike, then lighten it further. Starting from "not very light" is not going to be an easy sell..