Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I have a demanding job, a 2 year old, and a 14 year old. At this point I know what I need to do, and I know how I need to do it, and I know pretty quickly whether or not I'm capable of doing it on any given day. So I don't plan anything for a specific day. Besides, what if it rains that day? Or is freezing cold? Or is drop dead gorgeous? Or is a holiday? What if I feel great? Or fried?

Variables are the spice of life. Adaptive training and progression are the name of my game. Training is never a day in isolation in my book.
By now, I can tell by looking at my PMC numbers and weather forecasts what I'll feel like doing on a particular day, That's kind of important because I'm in charge of The Sunday Group Ride. I leave my PMC set to display last 90 and next 21. OTOH if a workout arrives that I want to change or skip for whatever reason, I do that. Having a plan doesn't mean I have to follow it! No need to repeat the Charge of the Light Brigade. I have to clear my workout plan in advance or it doesn't happen. But at the end of the week, I get to assess whether or not I've met my goals, and if not, what to do about that. I'd really be at sea without them, but OTOH I've only been at this for a little over 20 years. Maybe I'll get better at it. Or maybe Friel was all wet with the huge manual about how to develop a training plan.