View Single Post
Old 03-01-19, 04:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts

I end up with several bikes that I ride, so I could get hit with $100 in annual fees. But, that also means that I ride a lot of miles.

The program likely would generate income, but half of that would likely get chewed up in administration and enforcement.

Could the registration system help prevent bike theft? National registration?

Oregon came up with the concept of a Bicycle Sales Tax a year ago. It doesn't really affect me much, and I don't mind chipping a bit of my share.

However, I've thought about this some, and one of the main purviews of the local government is to promote health and well being of the citizens. And, that means providing parks, and promoting health and fitness activities.

Adding impediments to health and fitness is counterproductive.

In fact, society would be better if the governments would subsidize new bike purchases rather than taxing them, and pay the citizens say $10 for every 1000 verified miles they ride (commuter/utility miles?)

Of course, if you live in a sales tax state, you can point out that cyclists are already getting taxed on bike purchases and parts/consumable purchases. Even without sales taxes, they get hit with income taxes (plus taxes on businesses and employees they support), property taxes, driver's license taxes, etc.