I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
So you guess people are getting off public transit and getting on bikes?

Would you guess that people are also getting ON bikes to go to public transit?

In fact, the combination of successful MUPs to transit stations in the morning is enormously successful at getting people out of their cars. An example, Alewife in Cambridge (our fair city) MA has the largest car parking garage on the MBTA subway system at 2700 spaces. There are 450 secure bike parking spaces, another 300 or so official spaces, and another 300 bikes locked “unofficially.” Then another 40 blue bike docks and another 50 lime bikes. Then there are the people who walk along the MUPs to Alewife, plus people who take busses to Alewife.

There are 11,000 people who enter the station inbound each day. You do the math of how many of them drive a car to get onto a train.

We aren’t even counting the bike commuters who ride past Alewife on their way to work, but those folks are counted by the census with the American Community Survey.

Now, get rid of the MUPs, bike parking, all those people walking and biking to and past Alewife would get to work how? (The parking garage is at capacity.)

Get rid of the parking garage, how would people get to work now?

Get rid of Alewife, how would people get to work now?

BTW, we have about the worst motor traffic in the nation.

(Oh, btw, this happens twice a day, people who go to work come home too. But they don’t count people exiting.)

Any questions?

Yeah, four.
One, is the point of your rhetorical questions and example to prove that a relative handful of commuters ride a bicycle to one specific transportation hub in the Boston area or that a lot of bike parking spaces exist at one station in Boston?

Two, how many of the daily 11,000 inbound commuters at that station ride a bicycle daily to the station, or better yet, how many commuters ride to any other public transit hub/station/stop in Boston?

Three, any data to indicate how the commuters who do ride a bicycle via an MUP to a transit station in Boston, or transit hub/station/stop anywhere else, got to the hub/station/stop prior to the advent of an MUP to the station or dedicated/secure or ride sharing parking at the station?

Four, any data to indicate how the commuters who do ride a bicycle via an MUP to/from their work or study (for students) destination in Boston, or anywhere else, got to/from their work or study (for students) destination prior to the advent of ride sharing, or an MUP and/or dedicated/secure bicycling at the destination?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 03-02-19 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Add a fourth question