Old 03-02-19, 11:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
I ride where I need to ride which is usually close to the edge or pavement beyond the white line which my area has a lot of.

If they choose to pass me and cross the line near a bend, where it may appear to me to be totally unsafe, where I feel they should or should not, or maybe where I would not have in their shoes...

That is not my problem or decision or place. I am not the defacto road steward, person of "higher responsibility", flagman, or assumed traffic cop or crossing guard and no better or more informed than anyone else that might think otherwise.

I am just the guy on a bike there at that time being as consistent and steady as I can doing my thing. I just want my minimum 2-3 feet spacing if and when they decide to pass.
IMO too, I think lane positioning is pragmatic.
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
It's all situational
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…However, riding venues for me are situational, and I use my judgement
Regarding the question of taking the lane, I’ve always felt it is a question of pragmatism, though I probably too obsequiously favor keeping the drivers happy by staying FRAP. Recently I posted on this thread:
My usual routes are pretty safe…early morning or after rush hour in the evening, in the reverse commuting direction, on residential(though somewhat busy) and light commercial thoroughfares.

On a few rides over the past few days I have tried out the more aggressive position, in the right tire track, with very good results. I can easilymonitor the driver's responses in my rearview mirror...so far no aggressive maneuvers or honking.

I also like your strategy of gently nudging towards the center, then relenting towards the right. And I always give a wave to the cooperative driver, either before or after their pass...
Furthermore, I just yesterday replied to this thread on the Advocacy & safety Forum:
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Here's a question for everyone here. In a couple of other forums that I'm a member of (I'm able to Facebook from my phone) there is a member who seems to think that we as cyclists "have" to "acknowledge" motorists within the first 5-seconds that we realize that they're behind us.

I think that doing so sends the message that the time and destination of the motorists is somehow more important than our time and destination. And I know of no other class of vehicle operator that is "required" to "acknowledge" traffic behind them.
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
although if we're on a road that is straight and has good sight lines, I'll wave a car by.

Or if we're on a road that has a curve and I can see that the motorist behind me is about to attempt a pass I'll put out the slow/stop signal to get them to stay behind me
…I have posted frequently about the drivers that pass me,either to curse or bless them (link), depending on the pass, but mostly ignore them. I don’t particularly acknowledge drivers behind me either, but monitor them with my mirrors.

I recall posting that I don’t direct drivers to pass me, or hold up, but leave it up to them.

When I take the lane, I use a tactic of catch and release, i.e when about 20-30 feet behind, I shift right if possible and release the lane, with a wave of acknowledgement, kind of a “preemptory blessing.”