WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
And you believe I should also pay another tax to ride my bicycle on the road?
First, Southern states generally have lower taxes that those here in the Northeast. NC taxes are in the lower half - number 30 of 50 if you believe this. And this low rate is compounded by the recent legislation eliminating state tax burden from being deductible. Enjoy your low taxes! Although I must say that I expect NCs total tax burden to be much lower than PAs, but it wasn't (8.32 vs 8.66%).

Second, even with low overall taxes I would bet that your total tax burden is way, way more than ten bucks. The ten bucks for bike registration may be the straw that broke the camel's back though. Point is, if taxes (and NCs are lower than average) bug you that much, I'd not focus on the ten dollar bike registration fee. I'd focus on the thousands of dollars of the other taxes you pay.

Besides this being an additional (albeit small) tax, it sounds like the other main issue that torques you is that this legislation seems to be a grandstanding play that has nothing to do with improving cycling or bike safety. If the lawmaker is just being a jerk to curry favor with anti-bike idiots, your anger makes more sense. If so, I reverse an earlier comment. It sounds like you need to build a coalition of bikers to vote him or her out. Or to make him or her sweat a little bit.

The ten bucks doesn't bug me that much. An anti-bike lawmaker does.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 03-03-19 at 12:56 PM.