Old 03-03-19, 06:54 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 103 Posts
FWIW I built my 1993 930 as a touring bike with a few different bars over a few years and did some touring on it. The thing to keep in mind is that the top tube is very long, as this was the NORBA period where mountain bikes were long and low, unlike the early/mid-80s when top tubes were shorter. So if you are under 5'9 it will be hard to make a drop bar build work as even the smaller models had at least 58cm top tubes. The other difficult thing with the early 90s Treks is they used threaded 1 1/8 forks. Plenty of NOS stuff still around for threaded 1 1/8th but might be hard to find the exact right stem for your fit.

Soma Portola dirt drop bars and the stock Trek/Matrix stem. The stock stem was way too long for using drop bars as the top tube of the bike is already pretty long (it is designed for flat bars, obviously). The dirt drops didn't help as they have a pretty long reach.

Next iteration was Velo Orange Porteur bars with an upright Sunlite stem. I did a two-day, 210 mile trip with this config and I would say it did better than expected, but not enough hand positions, which is predictable.

Last iteration. Soma Randonneur bars with the same Sunlite stem. This fit the best and I rode it quite a lot like this. I would say I still would have preferred a slightly shorter reach but it worked. I did a lot of overnights with this one.