Old 03-03-19, 10:41 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by dwolsten
That's a lot of ifs. So what happens when I'm out riding for the day, and then it rains? I'm just screwed because I somehow thought I didn't need to worry about wet weather performance, and now I need to wait under a bridge or call a Lyft to take me home because I wanted to save a few ounces of weight? This seems like telling car buyers that they don't need to get a car with windshield wipers if they don't live in the PacNW. If you're worried about a tiny bit of extra weight from brakes, then you're probably not a normal bike rider, and hopefully you're a competition rider where you've controlled for lots of variables and can afford to make compromises for performance that normal riders wouldn't. Most bike riders aren't riding in races, so it sounds like the industry is making the right choice in pushing brakes that work well in ALL conditions, and not just dry conditions.
while it is true that disc brakes work better in the wet, it doesn’t mean that rim brakes don’t work well in all conditions. I do live in the PNW and have spent many rides in the rain going up and down hills. You do have to adjust your riding for the conditions, that is true of all bike riding, however.