View Single Post
Old 03-04-19, 10:49 PM
goldcoastjon

Bikes: 52 x 54 cm Eisentraut steel road bike, 51 x 55 cm Windsor Pro (Eroica bike) , 1972 53 x 57 cm Peugeot UO-18 mixte town bike/"truck." UNBUILT FRAMES: 1974 52.5 x 57 cm Jack Taylor Tour of Britain, 1964 52 x 54 Super Mondia, 1979/80 Raleigh Record Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had several gear-intensive hobbies over my 67 years: hiking, backpacking, cross-country and backcountry skiing,
home remodeling, sewing, and cycling.

Now that I am no longer a homeowner, I probably do not need all the tools I acquired to work on our seismic retrofit and home rewiring project
15-18 years ago. And now that my wife is less interested in them, cross-country skiing and backpacking have, sadly, gone by the wayside.
But I have started sewing again and never stopped riding, so I now put my resources (time, effort, energy, and cash) into those activities.

Compared to collecting fine art or rare autos, none of my hobbies has been very costly. And all of them help keep me healthy and sharp.

A good used sewing machine ($300) or used classic bicycle ($600-$1000) is cheap compared to many things: in 2013,
our used 2007 Prius cost us $12,000. Our home was $330,000 in 1997. We no longer own a TV and do not watch Netflix. But I
am training for Eroica California (April 6-7!) in Cambria and cannot wait.

Even the $500 per bike cost to upgrade the original 1998-99 Campagnolo Racing Triple drivetrains on our two "best" road bikes is cheap
compared to having work done on our car or buying a new CF (plastic) bike and modern drivetrain.

I look at the costs of my "addiction" to cycling almost as a medical expense: due to previous injuries, cycling is one of the few ways I can work out and stay in shape. Riding a lot helps with my arthritis, my ADD, my general mental health, and my tinnitus. (It is probaby cheaper than self-medicating with illegal or legal substances, too...)