Old 03-05-19, 08:25 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
There's not much you can do to change behavior of other drivers.

The person who suggested a camera was part way there. I would recommend that. It won't necessarily prevent an incident, but it might. More importantly, if something does happen, it provides an invaluable source in the case where the driver tries to lie and blame you. Based on my experience, this will be 100% of the time. Most people simply don't want to take responsibility for their own actions.

However, like you said, calling and reporting to the police every time someone passes to close is a lot of work.

There's a better, easier solution: https://closecalldatabase.com/

Simply cut a clip from your commute, and upload to this database. This has two effects: 1) If they get a bunch of reports with the same license plate number, their database flags it, and they will call the local police for you (remember, you may not be the only local rider uploading video). and 2) if something does happen, they can check their database for others and your previous uploads and possibly show a pattern.

Other than that, you're pretty much doing everything you can. Drivers in that area (I used to live in Wichita) can really suck.