Old 03-07-19, 09:42 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I sometimes wonder whether I would want to/could do what I did back in 1999 or even the following year. Putting aside things like financial issues (I was not destitute during my time off from the working world, which helped a lot.), I am not sure I would want to live like that again for so long. At times, bike touring can be messy, buggy, hot, humid, cold, wet, frustrating, expensive, tiring, injurious and monotonous. Sometimes all in one day. Imagine living for an extended period of time, potentially in all sorts of conditions, without most of the everyday things you are surrounded with now. And I am not simply talking about material possessions. Imagine, for example, wandering around and unfamiliar grocery store nearly everyday hunting for dinner and breakfast items. For some reason, that sticks out in my mind when I am on the road. I suspect that's because I am the sort of person who, during my "everyday life," shops for groceries nearly every day at places I know well.
Agreed. At some point, it stops being touring and simply becomes being a hobo. To me a tour is about a specific goal, not an open ended lifestyle. That's not to say planning to travel to every NP on a bike tour can't be a goal, or that a goal can't take a considerable amount of time to complete, but if it simply is open ended with no goal or anything beyond the end of the tour in sight, it isn't really touring anymore.