View Single Post
Old 03-08-19, 02:42 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Lot's of empty store-fronts now in NYC Brooklyn, Queens etc. As I understand it the greed motivator is such that you can take a business write -off for 'the rent you're NOT getting' and it goes well for developers and such to keep store-fronts empty & rents high. They suffer not at all, while the common person looses their job or their local store etc. So it's basically corporate greed making this world into a black hole. A bicycle store or record shop book store or anything duplicatable on-line is really just low-hanging fruit.
Though if you need a bank or a HUGE pharmacy there is one every where. Banks hold the not on the building they occupy and the big chain stores are just crunching numbers somewhere.
But...how do you REALLY feel about things?

Seriously though, a business which (for whatever reasons) has thrown in the towel and is in the process of closing it's affairs has NO reason to take the high road in terms of fire sale service and fulfillment. That's just my hard-earned take on it, and for that reason I try to avoid the temptation of super low, going out of business priced purchases. YMMV.

(and yes the internet is changing commerce as we know it...but the pendulum also always seems to swing the other way. Maybe not in my lifetime, but I think people will eventually dis-connect from the internet in search of a more personalized, regionalized purchasing experience. Someday. Maybe)