vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Only your rural roads?

Up in Omaha Nebraska...a metro area sprawl with over half-a-million people....they got national attention a year ago for turning a residential street where rich dentists/lawyers live into a gravel road:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/u...vel-roads.html

That one midwest city has about 5,000 miles of roads in need of work; with an estimated price-tag of $300,000,000USD. Which is about 30% of the annual tax-income of the entire state of Nebraska. Just to temporarily fix the roads in one city. After the dentists/lawyers complained and sued the city--the "reclamation" of roads-not-fit-for-navigation was halted.
Wisconsin is an interesting case. In theory, the roads are mostly paved to make transport easier for the dairy industry.

In my part of the state (the west side, central to south), a couple of major flood events have wrecked a ton of the rural roads. There's a few I used to ride on that have been closed for two seasons, and others that got wrecked just last fall. Wisconsin somehow ran out of money for normal road repair...these rural roads in the middle of nowhere are kind of a topic of least concern by folks making decisions on the other side of the state (as I understand it anyhow).

Minnesota's got no problem with gravel. It's kind of fun to go on a road ride and magically discover halfway through a descent that it's gone gravel!!! Wisconsin seems to be new to this game.