Old 03-10-19, 09:19 PM
Brompton_X 

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon, Tern, Birdy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Raxel View Post
Steel main frame + post set is roughly 1kg heaver than full titanium set, and two sets cost almost the same. Titanium is lighter, easier to maintain and personally looks better.

And I know >20 people who has built full titanium Bromptons and they seem to be mostly fine, if built by skillful mechanic with proper tools.
My frame has very slightly oval headtube and the BB shell threads were bit too tight (couldn't hand tighten the bottom bracket). Using tools solved both issues just fine.
A brand new UK frame needs BB tapping and headtube / seatpost collar / rear hinge reaming anyway.
3/5 of the people I know who purchased the titanium main frame they returned. I know the sample size is very small but still I think that's a very high ratio. Anyway, like I said, you can definitely build one if you want. Just make sure you buy from the right place. I purchased the main frame, rear frame, fork, and stem all together. When I found out I had issues with the fork, and rear frame and tried to replace with Brompton OEM parts, they just didn't work. So right now, I can't fold properly if the chainring I use is bigger than 52T.
I have probably one of the best mechanic in Taiwan built the bike for me. It is just the product issue, not whom built the bike. That's my 2 cents.