View Single Post
Old 03-11-19, 07:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11034 Post(s)
Liked 7,584 Times in 4,229 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Exactly what I have been wondering after reading the conniptions some posters are having about the future costs of their apparently endless process of constantly upgrading and replacing parts on their bicycles. What percentage of bicyclists do that sort of thing?

Sure, tires, tubes, spokes and cables and such wear out after moderate use and need to be replaced occasionally, but really, stockpiling parts and rebuilding bicycles on a routine basis?
I havent complained about the cost of Shimano going up, but wanted to respond to this because i do rebuild bikes on a routine basis- both for me and to refurbish to sell. Its a hobby- and paying more for a hobby is never something I simply want to do without good(in my view) reason.

With that said, I can simply use KMC chains, sun cassettes, jagwire cables/housing, etc etc. Shimano consumable products can be limited to crank(when needed) and shifters...and neither of those are quick wear products.

Just felt like responding since you question rebuilding bikes on a routine basis. This winter I converted one of my old bikes into a single speed, am building up an old Cannondale road frame, built a modern MTB for my oldest daughter, and am updating her old MTB for my younger daughter.
Oh, and I refurbished a 90s Specialized road bike and added modern shifting to sell.

Components get used in a hobby.