View Single Post
Old 03-11-19, 07:45 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by rahill
We have toured a little with two sets of Ortlieb rear panniers (so yes, front and rear the same size). We ride in California so our baggage requirements may be lower (we're not carrying a lot of rain gear), but this was enough for a four day camping trip including clothing, sleeping bags, pads, tent, cooking gear, and bike spare parts. We carried some food and purchased some along the way. We packed light but bulky stuff in the front (sleeping bags, pads, etc) so the extra space was nice and it didn't affect the steering.

Rich

FYI, Blackburn always recommended packing heavier items in front. I can't imagine this advice would be any different for a tandem, given the additional stability of a tandem, plus inability to go over the bars. This advice for a single was given because the rear rack of a single bike accommodates larger panniers and has ample room on top for tent, sleeping bag and/or other items, giving the rear rack the possibility of having a LOT of weight on it. This potential additional weight on the rear wheel was in addition to the usual 60% of the rider's weight over the rear wheel. Compounding this with the fact that rear wheels are also dished, and therefore more prone to failure, justifies reducing weight on the rear rack. Add to that the historical issue of freewheel axle failure really justified this approach.

Now with tandems, you no longer have the majority of the weight over the rear wheel. In fact, with the traditional larger rider in front on a tandem, the front wheel usually bears more weight these days. That plus cassette rear hubs means axle failure is no longer a problem.

However, wheel dish has increased since this recommendation was made, so it still makes sense to give the rear wheel a break. That plus the fact that the rack can still be stacked upon, means I'd still follow Blackburn's advice and put heavier items in the front pannier to try to equalize weight on front and rear racks. I think equal weight front and rear would be a good approach.

Just thought I'd share that bit of advice.

In addition to this, riders worrying about high weight loads on a tandem would want to consider adding a trailer to the mix. This will allow you to take a lot of weight off the tandem wheels, which for some tandem teams, are already tolerating high weight loads and forces. Panniers in front with a BOB trailer in back isn't a bad approach at all.

But be forewarned, including a trailer may tempt you to tour with everything plus the kitchen sink! No fun dragging all that extra (unnecessary) stuff PLUS the weight of a trailer!

PS Nice rig! Also, over the last 30 years, I've never heard a bad word uttered about Ortlieb panniers. Their quality and waterproofness has made them the leader in the field of bicycle bags. The only negative is the price. But anyone riding a nice tandem is used to sticker shock, no?!

PPS Crystal Springs in your pic with Sutro Tower in the background? I see you're in Campbell, so I have to ask... Have you ridden up Umunhum yet? The new road is a joy to ride and drive and descend. (Hicks is still in bad shape.) I've done it on the single, but I'm nowhere near conditioned to attempt it on the tandem.

PPPS Ha, I just saw you're in Campbell, the former home of Blackburn Designs. Thought I'd toss that in as well...

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 03-11-19 at 07:50 PM.