Old 03-12-19, 06:43 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The reviewer (rightly) sounds accepting of the fact he killed wheels--not that they failed. That the lasted such abuse and improper repair ends up being a compliment.

As is common with all bleeding edge products...old reviews skew things because products change so fast.
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I’d put most of the blame on the reviewer(he blamed himself), and from the sound of it, an Aluminium hoop would be trashed as well.
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I saw that when I was researching LB wheels, I take it as a testament to the build quality. He ran the pressure too low, even for a mountain bike, and cracked the wheel, but it still didn't fail completely and he was able to keep riding.
Interesting. I don't really have experience with breaking rims, so good to hear that this kind of damage is not out of the ordinary when abused.

What hubs would you recommend for a rim brake version? I am looking for a cheapish build. Bitex or Novatec hubs? Or stick with DT Swiss 350, although they are about 150g heavier? DT 240 is out of the question in terms of budget I think.

Thanks!