View Single Post
Old 03-13-19, 11:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by steven.burkard
Wow, that is an insane amount of information, and is fantastic. Thank you @indayfabz.

You were correct with your first description, we will ride over Logan's Pass from the West heading East back toward St Mary. It would appear that we cannot pass the Apgar visitor center until 1600, which puts us leaving the campground in St Mary around 1100.
No problem. I have ridden the west side enough times that it's all burned into my memory. Another advantage of going west to east is that the descent of the east slope is faster than the west slope. The west slope of narrow with no room to pass cars, which move slower than you can descend on a bike. While that allows you to take the lane, you're on your brakes a lot more until you get down to the flat portion of the road.

When I was there in 2017 I had to hang out in Whitefish for the library to open to purchase bike shipping and print a shipping label. Then I futzed around getting to Apgar and had to hang out for maybe an hour until I could continue east to Sprague Creek Campground. In case I forgot to mention it, Sprague Creek, which is about a mile before Lake McDonald Lodge, has a day use picnic area. That means you can stop in, use the restrooms and get water if you need to without paying a use fee.