View Single Post
Old 03-15-19, 06:55 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Yep, so love me some Lemonds. Here's what I see special about each one I have.

Trek Era:

2000 Zurich - Just fast and comfortable. Many of my PR's are on this bike. It's also been out on "loan" for a few years now so I may never actually see it back.

2003 Tourmelet - Picked this up locally from an old racer that had built it up with with a nice mix of Dura Ace/Ultegra 10 speed parts. This is my smallest one at a 53cm frame but flat out flies each time I take it out. I've been "testing" a set of Wickwerks 53/34 chainrings on this for the owner of Wickwerks for a few years now. This is one of my long climbing bikes.

2006 Versailles - Actually just picked this up this winter and haven't test road it yet. I'm planning on getting it out this weekend. I upgraded it with a Wickwerks triple chainrings setup on a FSA crank and then mostly Dura Ace 10 speed parts. It's also got my November Nimbus Ti wheels on it. It's currently the lightest in my stable...but barely.

1999ish Custom Lemond - I'm pretty sure this is a 1999 Zurich frame due to the chromed rear dropouts. It's one of a handful that Greg had done up himself for friends in the industry. The bike is also in a picture with Greg and the Gentleman's Poodle and Grouse Society guys in the 2000 catalog. I have the full rider history from the guy Greg gave it to until it got to me. This has been one of my fastest bikes since getting it.

Billato Built:

1989 Ventoux - Built up for comfort on long rides. Ultegra 9 speed with some nice fat Veloflex Tubulars on a set of Team Saturn training wheels. Brooks saddle and cushy bar tape. This one has kept me fresh on long rides and allowed me to post my century PR on it.

Early 90s Maillot Juane - A rocket ship. Sporting some sweet Campagnolo 8 speed gear. I upgraded this with a modern, light wheelset and modified a 9 speed cassette to work as an 8 speed on it. This one has my current PR for my usual 25 mile route. It's a TSX tubed bike and seems to respond under me better than anything I have. So late in the rides as I tire and as my concentration falls off this one is still able to carry me at a fast pace.

1995 (I think) GLx Team Gan version - Sporting a Campagnolo Racing T setup. Great little climber yet super fast on the flats too. Out of all the Lemonds this is the squarest frame with the top tube only being about 1/4 inch longer than the seat tube. This appears to be one of the limited editions of this frame but I have not been able to confirm that. It's also built with an Excell GLx tubeset vs the Columbus tubings of the other Billato bikes.

And some pics!

This was taken before the upgrade.