yves845

Bikes: Santos travelmaster2.8 ; Brompton titanium ; R&M Load speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
france and italy

Just my point of view :
following the Seine river from Paris to Rouen is not a good Idea : you will cross infinite industrialized suburbs and a lot of trucks. I would go near the loire area as soon as possible, for instance targetting the Angers area
Mont St Michel, St Malo and Dinant are really much more scenic and pleasant places;
I see you will arrive to Marseille crossing the northern suburbs : it's exactly the same problem : crowded suburbs, crazy drivers and no bike lane. Plus the "quartiers nords" of Marseille are very poor places with petty criminals and drug dealers, no real risk, but avoid leaving your bikes alone ...
That said Marseille is a wonderful city but not for the faint of heart, it can be really dirty, people are talking extremely loud and are not particularly nice with foreigners (ie every other place in France exept Corsica).
The french riviera is probably very different from what you can imagine : the sea side is full of places made for tourists : big housing projects connected by freeways, many things are closed between october and june.
In this ocean of middle class tourist traps there are preserved places, mostly the towns (Cassis, Toulon, Nice, Menton), the Calanques area east of Marseille, these are generally places for very wealthy people, like russian plutocrats, french soccer players etc.
The alps goes down in the mediterranean sea there, this is quite mountainous even near the sea.
The "arrière pays" is much less populated.
THis is my perception of things, I'm french and aging, so, it maybe a bit of a caricature ! But Ihave been to this places not very long ago, so it's quite acurate.

For tourist offices : check the opening hours
For campgrounds prefer "camping municipal" they are generally cheaper and basic, all other campgrounds have accomodations for children, not really useful for you.
If you want to go to restaurant, ask people around for what's best, don't be afraid to order "le plat du jour" and ask for plain tapped water : "une carafe d'eau" it's free, if you want to taste wine, on the contrary it's not a good idea to ask for "une carafe", it's the cheapest wine available from the cheapest supermarket nearby. Go to a "caviste" and don't forget to take a corkscrew !
Have a nice trip
If you want more infos just ask
Yves