View Single Post
Old 03-16-19, 11:25 AM
JaccoW
Tinkerer

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
@mountaindave and @noglider: I edited my profile for you gentlemen so it is a bit more clear to others. But yes, I am Dutch andd tall though most of my length is in my legs. But thank you, I am glad other can enjoy what I am doing.

I think that with people like Jan Heine, Grant Petersen and the general rise of the interconnectedness the internet offers, people in the US started looking into older designs in the wake of the 650B rediscovery.
It helps that there were some holdouts in the randonneuring field and several smaller French, Japanese and Taiwanese manufacturers that kept some of the knowledge alive.
In most countries where bikes are more of a tool than a hobby the developments continued.

So when Americans started looking into ways to combine their love for road (racing) bikes with a more practical allyear approach the French already had an answer. American 'gravel' roads are very different from modern European 'gravel' roads mostly because the rocks are bigger and the weather is generally drier. But they are comparable to 50's/60's French country roads. This where wider tyres and lighter bikes come into play.

So combining that traditional (French) design with modern manufacturing techniques and a population that is able and willing to spend more on their bikes gives rise to the small boom in rando/gravel/touring/bikepacking models and accessories like we have today. And I'm glad we did.

I've never been into road bikes and racing but I do enjoy riding a bicycle and having something to tinker on. Whether that is photography techniques, mechanical keyboards or vintage bicycles. There is just so much more available today than 10 years ago and even boutique or smaller brands can be found and acquired through the internet.