Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Liked 5,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by aprieto28
I prefer Paint over powder coat

Red Medici at Paint Shop
Sure, and I prefer flying first class and staying in luxury hotels. It's not going to stop me from flying to Hawaii coach and staying at a condo because I can't afford the 1%er vacation.

There are pros and cons to both. Surely powder coat is more durable and much more environmentallly friendly, as well as significantly less expensive. You've seen several examples of what I'd call comparable to wet paint examples, at significantly less cost. Also, most powder coaters turn around a frame in a few weeks - and I'm talking about the ones who know how to handle bike frames, not just any powder coater. All the really good wet painters that I know of have several months of backlog, and even then can't hit anywhere near a date.

If you're looking for wet paint quality, pay wet paint prices. If you've got a ratty 70's or 80's production frame, a powder coat will spruce it up nicely.

I'm not against wet paint at all. On rare occasion I have a frame that I think is worth the treatment.

I'm just a bit tired of reading the "don't powdercoat, it'll be crap, they'll hide the lug lines, fill bottle bosses, etc." crowd when I think a much more appropriate answer would be "it depends on where you send it". There are enough people on this forum that have had great experiences with certain powder coaters to recommend, hopefully local, but if you can't find a good bike powder coater locally, odds are you can't find a good wet painter locally as well, so shipping costs are a wash.