Old 03-28-19, 07:38 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by crandress
For my early 50's Terrot that I just getting started building up, I am going to have to choose some handlebar tap. So I have two questions, one factual and one that will lead to all sorts of opinions I am sure, but here goes:

1. What handlebar tape would have been on a French racing/rando bike in the early 50's? Cotton? And part B, if so, is there a way to make it more comfy?

2. I wanted to make this bike retro, but I assume most old style tapes will be uncomfy. This will be a rider. Total opinion, but do you say screw it and go with a more modern and comfortable tape, or stay retro? Or is there a happy medium that looks retro, but has modern comfort?

I will start a build thread soon for this one.

Thanks - Chris
Maybe split the difference and use cotton tape but with some thin padding underneath it like neoprene or old inner tubes?

You would probably be able to achieve a nice skinny bar look but still have a bit of comfort.

Personally, I hate how most modern tape makes the bars look puffy (especially modern "cork" tape ), so I just deal with a single layer of cotton only and sacrifice hand comfort a bit.