Old 03-28-19, 11:15 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I have got into the habit of recording my 5.5 mile ride to the station with a GPS unit. The main purpose of the GPS unit is to help me navigate brevets on the weekend, and there really isn't any point in recording my commute with it, but it turns out to be useful in various ways. For example, I can use the information on the GPS to determine whether I'm on schedule to catch my train, or not... and if I'm not, I have to decide whether I can catch the train by going faster, or not to bother, in which case I have fifteen minutes before the next train.

There is a traffic light about 2.9 miles from home. It is actually the fifth traffic light I pass. Some time ago I discovered that if (a) I ride fast, and (b) the wind is in my favor, and (c) I get lucky and get through all those traffic lights without slowing down, then I may possibly cover the first three miles in ten minutes. That's pretty much top speed. After that I get on the canal towpath, and I necessarily slow down a bit.

Anyway, my 5.5 mile ride is usually a bit more than 22 minutes. Thinking I'm about to miss my train is great inspiration to ride as fast as possible.