Old 03-28-19, 02:45 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Doubt it. I don't think it improves your performance. They feel safer after you get used to them because you know your foot won't come off the pedal. If you have knee issues they can hold your leg in the proper alignment of you angle them right and don't use float.
That might be true, but that goes both ways: if your cleats are NOT set up correctly, you might develop knee issues. Whereas if not clipped in, your leg / foot tends to "find" the position on the pedal that works best.

Originally Posted by icedmocha

Thanks. I liked my clipless but the trade off for not being able to run/walk normal in cycling shoes was annoying (spds). Never considered the knee issue.
If you want normal shoes, there are plenty of SPD shoes that allow you to walk regularly, because the SDP cleat (mountain bike pedal cleat) is recessed beyond the rubber for walking. (usually touring or mountain shoes). If you have SPD-SL (the road bike version) pedals, I don't think such shoes exist. But you can easily use SPD on a road bike, even though it is designed for mountain bike.

Something like this: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../SH-MT301.html