Old 03-28-19, 03:16 PM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
French style shellac originates with cheapskates. 3/4" cotton twill tape at the notions counter of the local fabric store is usually about $0.25/yard when purchased in full rolls. This leaves no concern about getting good overlap or about building it up thick. First element of comfort is primarily how fat the 'bar is. When/if the tape gets old and tired, or if you want to change color, you can split off the top layer and leave behind the layer/s that gave the thickness. Give the base layer a good drenching coat of shellac and a full overnight dry before proceeding. The shellac itself is the only adhesive needed. For one friend who wanted a seriously fat grip I went to five layers of tape. At that point there were voids between the repetitive layers that created some cushion. That one has held up quite well.

Back in 50s French, English, everyone had rubber grips. Sort of like rubber pipes with a variety of ribbing patterns. For a while there were repros of some of the English grips. I think "keirin grips" still exist and some of those have an old timey look. Taste varies. Have seen some originals that still looked presentable, definitely not rideable. If anyone knows of something good that can still be had...
Maybe I should have you to it for me! I can probably figure it out. Thank you again for this lovely frame by the way!

Crapmaster Emeritus