Old 03-28-19, 11:55 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Wow...your first paragraph is a bit confusing to me. But yeah it's an older bike...but the wheels are relatively newer...with round spokes...Shimano with 3X configuration. Nothing changed from before/after my hub bearing maintenance.

Dan
Yeah ok. Sorry for getting excited. If your wheelset is by Shimano and it’s laced 3 cross, then I suppose spoke flex is unlikely to be the culprit - especially considering that it mysteriously happened after hub service.

To rephrase that paragraph: if your spokes are very elastic, when you pedal hard, the spokes on the drive side will flex outwards. This can cause rub. It’ll sound like pinging, and it’ll only happen on climbs or when accelerating hard. I had the exact same symptoms which is why I thought that would be it.

One thing I will say is that, from what I know about cup and cone bearings, if you took off and reinstalled both cones, then it’s possible that the wheel is further to the drive side than it was before. Can you move the left cone outward and the right cone inward, thus moving the wheel away from the derailleur? Just throwing out ideas here...

Also, if you used new bearings, what size bearings did you use?

good luck...