Old 03-29-19, 10:50 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
I talked my parents into paying for 1/2 of an American Eagle Semi-Pro as my Christmas present in 1971 when I was 13. I paid the other half, I think the total price was about $220. Suntour derailleurs and ratchet bar end shifters, Dia Compe center pull brakes, Araya rims, don't remember the hubs, Sugino crank. This was before they rebranded as Nishiki. Reading about this bike in later years it had a reputation for a "dead" feeling frame. I was thrilled with it though, it was quite an improvement over my Schwinn Varsity. I remember giving it away sometime in the late 80s.
Arguably, the biggest selling bicycle of the early boom era was the Peugeot U08. Compared to it and most of its European cousins, the comparable Japanese models, were typically less compliant, less responsive and heavier. As a result, they felt "dead" by comparison, though they would certainly have felt lively compared to Schwinn's offering at the same level.

In your case, the comparison transcends not just nationalities but levels. Your Semi-Pro probably cost twice that of the Varsity and was probably 15 lbs lighter. A more valid comparison would probably have been a Peugeot PR10 or even a PX10. I strongly suspect you would have considered the Peugeots to be livelier but would have found the American Eagle to shift better and have better workmanship.