Old 03-31-19, 08:19 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
We have Safe Routes to School initiatives. They're part of the city planning documents (http://www.cityoflacrosse.org/filest...R2S_Report.pdf), though I'm not sure how well the planning transfers into action. The Wisconsin Bike Fed is also available to provide training and guidance for parents and students (Bike & Walk to School | Wisconsin Bike Fed), though again, it depends largely on the schools, their location, and whether or not parents are interested. There's a few schools that are basically on a highway with no sidewalk.

For most of my time growing up in Michigan, walking or biking to school was not an option due to busing and nonexistent cycling infrastructure. My city assigned students to schools in order to ensure similar ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic diversity in public schools (which IMO was a really good thing). This meant that kids in my neighborhood ended up going to school somewhere across town - but we actually walked to the bus stop, which was not always close, waited around in our boots and snowpants, and took the yellow bus.