View Single Post
Old 04-01-19, 01:09 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
But I've seen 40-100 pound dogs running on a 20-25' leash. Those dogs have:
(a) clotheslined a child, who was outweighed 100% by the dog;
(b) knocked over a toddler;
and (c) used 3:1 leverage and hit an older man, who only stayed up because a couple other people with him held him up.

Why is it their fault they were mowed down by the dog? Why shouldn't the dog's walker be responsible?

None of those three individuals had a bicycle they could have held in front of them for protection. The ONLY way to avoid those incidents would have been for the dog owner to restrain the mutt with the lead, instead of letting them run crazy.
I never said the dog owner wasn't 100% responsible. I said it was avoidable -- that has nothing to do with fault.

When you see a large dog on a retracto, you know the owner doesn't know what he's doing and what can potentially happen. Especially if there are kids around, you cut extra space and if it's not available, adults on hand. Just as you make adjustments when there are things wrong with the path (washout, treefall, ice, etc) you make adjustments because the problem is caused by a person. The old man may not have had an option, but other people should seen what was unfolding and helped out. Fortunately, these are extreme situations.

The high concentrations people in urban areas multiplied by the percentage of criminals, mentally ill, addicts, and garden variety idiots in the general population mathematically guarantee regular encounters with people not doing what they should. As such, navigating such spaces has to include these encounters built into the plan.

At least on our paths, cyclists represent a greater safety threat to others than dog walkers. Dog entitlement is a problem where I live, but the cyclist entitlement is far worse.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Didn't bother to read all the BS, but leftover sand and rocks from broken pavement are what have been annoying me on my commutes lately. Can't wait until the street sweepers have cleaned up the last of it.
You know you're in a good space when a major complaint would be that the road hasn't been swept. Gotta admit I've been getting spoiled by this myself for the past several years. I do not miss the broken glass, steel belt tire wires, and metal construction debris near a dump along a highway I had to ride by every day for many years.