View Single Post
Old 01-24-06, 11:55 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_neon
For a rear deraillure, would the X-7 or Deore be a better choice? X-9 and X-0 no questions asked but would you take X-7 over Deore?

Oh JEEZ! Here we go again.... As I've said before...

I've broken 2 SRAM 9.0 and a 7.0 derailers in the past and it has always happened around the knuckle/pivot. I figured out that the plastic/composite is cracking at this point because when a SRAM derailer moves back and forth, it doesn't move freely like a Shimano. When a Shimano takes an impact, even a small one at that, it is free to swing back and forth to sidestep/dissapate the energy. SRAM derailers do not do this as easily as it remains much more rigid and it ends up absorbing much more of the impact. To further compound to the situation, SRAN has a smaller pivot pin than Shinmano so it creates more of point load on the deraileur knuckle. So if the pin doesn't snap, the deraileur body will crack. Also, SRAM derailers slam to a stop when it gets parallel with the ground. Test this by grabbing your deraileur, rock it backwards and let it go. This deraileur is taking forces like this constantly as you ride. These are the weak points in its design. I have a few riding buddies that are breaking thier X0 stuff in exactly the same place as my old 9.0 and 7.0 because the design in this aspect is still the same.

See for yourself...
http://www.whatthe****.info/uploads/...r_ride_sm1.mov

T.J.

Last edited by Tequila Joe; 01-25-06 at 07:07 PM.