Old 04-02-19, 05:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Yup. My back and neck were broken in six places in 2001. Mostly healed but the borked C2 still bothers me -- the bone regrew funky and I'm being re-evaluated to see what condition it's in. I can feel a lot of grinding. Then I was hit by a car last year, breaking my shoulder and reinjuring the neck. I've been back on the bike for months but it's uncomfortable so I'm going back to physical therapy soon, after ortho docs have checked my X-rays, CT scans, etc.

However I've worked carefully and steadily on my own PT at home, doing lots of stretches. When I first resumed cycling in 2015 after a 30+ year hiatus I couldn't turn my head very far to the left or right, let alone over my shoulder. I needed handlebar and helmet mirrors. And I could only handle an upright comfort hybrid the first year.

After a couple of years I was able to add a drop bar road bike, but was still extremely stiff and limited in flexibility. I kept working on stretches and core strengthening -- no weights, just body weight.

I can now peek over my shoulder most days. I still rely on a helmet mirror (Take-A-Look). But I don't need additional handlebar mirrors on my road bike or one hybrid -- the comfort hybrid has been retired to errand bike duty and still has a handlebar mirror.

I'm surprised how polarizing the notion of stretching is among cyclists, but I do what works for me. I wouldn't be able to ride at all without stretching before, during and after rides. That's the minimum I do almost every day.

There are lots of good video tutorials on YouTube for neck exercises. I gradually worked up from basic stretches to using hand pressure to add a little strengthening and extra stretch. Helps unkink a persistent cramp between the neck and right shoulder blade.

And I divide my rides about equally between the road bike and favorite hybrid -- an old diamond frame Univega converted from faux-MTB configuration to proper city bike with albatross bar at or just below saddle height. Good compromise for days when the neck and shoulder don't cooperate but I still want to ride. I'm usually good for 20-50 miles on the hybrid at a moderate pace.

Last edited by canklecat; 04-02-19 at 05:19 PM.