Old 01-25-06, 02:05 AM
teiaperigosa
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Expatriate
I suggest you go read East of Eden, by John Steinbeck. This is one of those situations where one word makes the difference.

Your quote: "a rational and sensible person, and not just a ss/fixie guy who gets cheap thrills".

My original comment: "he may think you're one of those ss/fixie guys getting cheap thrills dodging cars".

I hope you can make out the subtle distinction.

As for your comments about skills, I've never known the bike to make the rider. You seem to be implying that a fixed gear with no brakes makes a rider better. Of course, I suppose that could just be a matter of one person's interpretation.
I suggest you go do some kind of reading for yourself...any kind...relitify yourself

while individual words can certainly make the difference in the meaning of a sentence, thought, idea, whatever,...your choice to distinguish the fact that you said "one of those" does not void you of responsibilities of the implied reasoning in the sequencing of the phrases in your statement (which was of the most imporance in what you said)

in fact, it is eaaaasily arguable that your use of the phrase "one of those" at least hints as a direct stereotype of ALL fixed gear riders...just as "those people", "you people", and the likes have been traditional stereotyped phrases in our english language

oh..and the bike doesn't make the rider, the rider makes the bike (at least in this forum )...
and...yes...different bikes cause you to ride differently... I power up hills, where if I had a whiny cycle, I might gear down... I ride through turns and have much better maneuvering control, because the precision nature of my speed control provides it

Last edited by teiaperigosa; 01-25-06 at 02:10 AM.