View Single Post
Old 04-04-19, 09:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 3,912 Times in 2,334 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRPs) have carbon fibers (duh) and a resin matrix. The resin matrix can be one of several things. Epoxide, unsaturated polyester, vinyl ester, and polyamide imide resins (Torlon(R) is a pretty cool example) are used. There can be additives such as rubber. Some of these matrices (e,g, epoxides) are pretty resistant to everything (excepting stuff like hyrdrobromic acid and other strong bases or acids). But without knowing, it's probably good to avoid stuff like acetone or methty-ethyl-ketone or gasoline.

On alloy bars, goo-gone followed by min spirits to rinse followed by soap and water. Let dry and wrap pristine bars.

On CF bars, golly. I think I'd try warm soap and water and a credit card to scrape the stuff ollf. Check with the mfr?

I sat in on a carbon frame talk (at a NAHBS a bunch of years ago) presented by Craig Calfee. He said that there was nothing that could be bought from your local hardware store that will damage the carbon structure. Andy