Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm presently trying to sell the Cannondale that's attached to the GB handlebars that Scott sent me. Once my heart surgery recovery is finished, I'm allowed back on DF bikes, and the autumn-winter sales start, I'm planning on buying a new road bike. I'm between M and L and usually have bought L. I'm going a size down to M this time and maybe then I won't be riding tops-or-drops like a 70's bike with turkey levers. Instead I'll be able to ride on the hoods like modern bikes are supposed to be. In that case the shape of the brifters might really be more important than the handlebars.
Yeah, these Tektro levers I bought for the drop conversion are ergo-type, the hoods are super long. I think they're intended for use on a compact type bar with less reach. My bar tops are already 3" below saddle and I like them there well enough but then the drops are too low. I have some concerns I'll probably have to explore about my large hands fitting on a compact bar.

All I've known up to this point is tops and drops with this exact bar, on 3 different bikes made in the 70s/early 80s (prior to current commuter). I suppose if I were to pretend I were looking at a picture of somebody else's bike, I'd probably say "how can you reach the hoods?".

Side note: I'm very encouraged by your recovery and positive attitude. Back in 2013 while I was still lurking BF and before I really got bit by the bike bug, I had the adductors in my left leg removed along with a lemon-sized sarcoma. Prior to that, I had only been riding about 500 miles a year, just on the trails and with my kids and stuff, but my leg was pretty jacked up for about 2 years and I didn't ride much at all, maybe 100 miles a year. It would be a tough thing for me to stay off the bike now.

Quick reminiscence - I remember the first time I rode my work commute after the surgery. It was similar to my current route just longer, we lived deeper into town and I worked a little further out in the country, 14 miles each way. I felt like a beast. My leg hurt so bad LOL. It was around that time I really got "bit". I could only do the ride a couple times a week but I did it as often as I could.

Last edited by Phamilton; 04-09-19 at 09:47 AM.