MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Cool bike. Two tips, a '58 may have an SW 3 speed hub which is prone to failure but easily replaced with an AW if it does. The SW hub may work just fine. Regardless of model, put a few drops of lightweight oil in the filler. Also oil the rear brake housing at the back. Water seeps in there into the loop and rusts the cable solid.

Thanks fort the tips. I know there are apparently some ports to put oil right into the hubs or something. Honestly, I have zero wrench ability, so hopefully nothing goes wrong. Immediately after buying it however, I took it to my guy (Bob at Hastings Velo) for a check-up. He's the best mechanic I know. I don't know that there's a bike or mechanism he hasn't seen or worked with. He gave it a look and made sure it was safe and functional, so I should be good at least out of the gate here for a while. It won't be seeing lots of miles.

I'd never trash it though. If it ceased working for us, I'd move it on Craig's list or Ebay to someone else who might be able to do more with it.